It’s time to start stocking up on marshmallows and whipped cream, it’s hot chocolate season! But don’t use that boring, hot chocolate mix sitting in your cupboard. Treat yourself to one of these unique hot chocolate recipes from around the world.
Italy: Cioccolato Caldo
If you think hot chocolate is too liquidity, this recipe is for you. Italian hot chocolate is thick, creamy, decadent and very rich. It is so thick, it is halfway between a drink and a spoon dessert.
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Warm the milk in the microwave
- In a saucepan, sift together the cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch
- Add 1/4 cup of milk and whisk together until smooth, while stirring, add the remaining milk
- Place the saucepan on medium heat and whisk until the mixture starts to boil. Once it becomes thick, it ready to serve
Hungary: Forró Csokoládé
This Hungarian unique hot chocolate recipe is delicious and satisfying. The cloves, paprika and white pepper spices adds a unique flair to this hot chocolate.
4 cups of milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat combine the milk, paprika, white pepper, and cloves together and heat until almost boiling
- Add chocolate and stir in with a wooden spoon
- Whisk until frothy and serve
France: Le Chocolat Chaud
This French hot chocolate tastes just as bold as the hot chocolate found in the Paris cafes. The recipe calls for decadent dark chocolate that has a rich taste. Any chocolate lover will be in absolute heaven after a few sips!
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
8 ounces of bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and espresso powder until small bubbles appear around edges, right before boiling
- Remove from saucepan from heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted, returning the sauce to low heat
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, it’s ready to serve
India: Chai Hot Chocolate
This recipe requires white chocolate, which is the perfect complement to the unique spices. Spiced hot chocolate will take you away to the delicious flavors of India.
2 tablespoons white chocolate chips or grated white chocolate
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 whole clove
1 whole black peppercorn
- Fill two mugs with one tablespoon of white chocolate each
- Pour milk and water into a small saucepan and whisk in the spices. Place over medium heat until the liquid begins to bubble and then whisk occasionally
- Reduce the heat from medium to low and remove the clove and peppercorn
- Continue to whisk until there is a foam on top. Remove from heat
- Pour half of the milk mixture into each of the mugs. Stir to melt the white chocolate. Spoon some of the foam onto the top of each and serve
These unique hot chocolate recipes will take your sweet tooth to a new level. This winter season, grab your coziest blankets and softest socks and treat yourself to your favorite warm mug of hot chocolate.
Comment below with which hot chocolate recipe you can’t wait to try!